All you need to know about Phi Phi
Phi Phi Island, also known as Koh Phi Phi, is a group of six islands located off the coast of Krabi, Thailand. The islands are known for their stunning beauty, with white-sand beaches, clear blue waters, and towering limestone cliffs. Phi Phi Island is a popular tourist destination, especially among backpackers and young people.
Phi Phi Island was originally inhabited by a small community of fishermen. The islands became known to the world in 1999, when the Leonardo DiCaprio movie “The Beach” was filmed there. The movie brought a flood of tourists to Phi Phi Island, and the island has since become one of the most popular tourist destinations in Thailand.
The Phi Phi Islands are located in the Andaman Sea, about 40 kilometers off the coast of Krabi. The largest island in the group is Phi Phi Don, which is home to the majority of the population and tourist facilities. The other islands in the group are Phi Phi Leh, Phi Phi Yai, Bamboo Island, Mosquito Island, and Koh Bida Nok.
The Beach is a cove on the island of Phi Phi Leh that was made famous by the 1999 movie of the same name. The cove is surrounded by towering limestone cliffs and has a white-sand beach. The Beach is a popular tourist destination, but it is important to note that it is not possible to swim in the cove due to strong currents.
Things to do in Phi Phi
There are many things to do in Phi Phi, including:
- Relaxing on the beach: Phi Phi has some of the most beautiful beaches in Thailand, so it’s no surprise that many people come here to simply relax and soak up the sun.
- Snorkeling and diving: The waters around Phi Phi are home to a variety of marine life, making it a great place for snorkeling and diving. There are many dive shops on the island that offer excursions.
- Hiking: Phi Phi Island has a number of hiking trails that offer stunning views of the surrounding islands and the Andaman Sea.
- Partying: Phi Phi is known for its party scene, with a number of bars and clubs that stay open late.
- Exploring the local villages: There are a few small villages on Phi Phi Island, where you can learn about the local culture and way of life.
Getting to Phi Phi
When to go to Phi Phi
The best time to visit Phi Phi is during the dry season, which runs from November to April. The weather is warm and sunny during this time, and there is less rain. Although this is also the most expensive time high season can pay treble for hotels
Phi Phi Island is a beautiful and exciting place to visit. Whether you are looking to relax on the beach, explore the underwater world, or party the night away, Phi Phi has something to offer everyone.
Additional tips for visiting Phi Phi
- Be prepared for crowds: Phi Phi is a popular tourist destination, so it can get crowded, especially during the high season.
- Book your accommodation in advance: Phi Phi is a small island, and accommodation can fill up quickly, especially during the high season.
- Bring sunscreen and a hat: The sun can be strong in Phi Phi, so it is important to protect yourself from the sun.
- Be aware of the currents: The currents around Phi Phi can be strong, so it is important to be aware of them before swimming or snorkeling.
- Respect the local culture: Phi Phi is a Muslim island, so it is important to respect the local culture and dress modestly.
I hope this blog has given you a better understanding of Phi Phi Island. If you are planning a trip to Thailand, I highly recommend adding Phi Phi to your itinerary.